Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A Tasty Treat



So this was my treat meal this week.  A very tasty steak burrito from Chipotle.  It was a whopping 970 calories in the pic above.  It included a flour tortilla, steak, brown rice, black beans, cheese, fajita veggies, lettuce and hot chili salsa.  

This burrito will make my body retain close to 3 pounds of water weight for a couple days from the amount of sodium and carbohydrates. That's why it's real important I do not to base my  results strictly on scale weight  and to know how my body responds to certain foods, sodium and carbohydrates.   If I didn't have knowledge of this and based my results strictly on scale weight, my natural instinct would be to drastically restrict my calories the remainder of the week to try and "make up" for the extra scale weight, which I strongly don't recommend for maximum fat loss.   

So how do I respond after a 3 pound weight gain from a treat meal?   I return to my plan is if the scale didn't change.  As long as I stayed within my caloric boundaries on treat meal day, I really didn't "gain" weight (at least not fat weight), it's only water weight.  As long as I return to my normal workout routine and the foods I normally eat, the extra water weight will disappear within a few days.  I will not restrict my calories to make up for it, especially on weight lifting days.  If I did, it would have a very real negative impact on my metabolism and possible muscle loss, which that is a big no-no in my book.  Muscle is my friend.  It is the furnace that burns my fat.  My goal is to retain as much muscle as I can, while dropping fat weight.  

And so the journey continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment